A Herringbone Finish!

A little more than a year ago I started on a quilting adventure to make a herringbone quilt using a tutorial by Bijou Lovely as part of the SewCanShe New Year Sewalong.  I finished the quilt top but never got around to quilting it because my machine skipped stitches so badly every time I attempted machine quilting.  Well I was lucky enough to get a new machine recently and am happy to report that I quilted my Herringbone quilt.  Yay!

 As crazy as the colors are on this quilt, I love it. I love color and I love random.
 I chose to quilt it with just straight lines. I tried out my walking foot as well with great success I think.  Here's the back...

My daughter has had her eye on this quilt for some time hoping she could use it for her bed.  So yesterday after it was freshly washed I gave her room a good cleaning and surprised her with her new bedspread. Luckily it even looks great with the pillows she already had.  She loved her surprise which made me happy mama.

More details...
Fabrics: there are too many to name. Mostly bold beautiful florals that I've collected over the years. I used ALL my favorites. 
What I learned:
  • This tutorial produces A LOT of scraps. Not wanting to waste them I turned them into quite a few other projects you can see here and here, including some hotpads.  I even have a rather large pile left waiting to be used.  
  • Sometimes it's okay to not push myself to finish a project. Originally I had a border on this quilt top.  I really thought it was a good idea at the time but it never really sat well with me when I looked at it.  My delay in quilting it turned out to be a good thing because it gave me time to come to my senses and remove the extra fabric which just added to the craziness, not in a good way. 
Sew happy to have crossed this one off the list!

For a little extra fun I'm linking this fun project up to SEWjo Saturday at My GoGo Life and Show Off Saturday at Sew Can She.





7 comments:

  1. Love it! I have 2 herringbone quiltletts I want to make for the bunkbeds when the grandkids come. I was planning on making long strips so they aren't cut...hope it doesn't get too fiddly :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!. Yes, long strips are a great idea. Maureen Cracknell Handmade has a great tutorial for doing it that way. I think it would be way easier with less waste. Good Luck! http://www.maureencracknellhandmade.blogspot.com/2013/09/a-herringbone-quilt-tutorial.html

      Delete
  2. Wonderful colors! Your daughter has very very good taste!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the quilt!! I am a scrap fanatic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love colour and i love random....

    ReplyDelete
  5. The colours are fantastic,and I love herringbone patchwork.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty and what a sweet gesture for your daughter.

    ReplyDelete